“Cycle with Hopwood, Cycle with Friends”
July/August 2020 – open cafes
Whilst we’re not yet cycling as a club, it’s good to see that members are going out on rides and keeping fit. It’s also good news that cafes are opening, a step closer to normality. We thought it would be good if members could share information regarding cafes that are open, with details of opening times, outside seating, toilets, etc. Thanks to members for contributions so far. Things are changing rapidly, so please let Ruth know of any updates or additions.
Deb – 3 August
- Camden Coffee, Sheep St, Chipping Campden. £2.72 for coffee and bun under eat out scheme.
Sue P – 21 July
- The Windlass cafe is open at Stourport , indoor and outdoor seating. Temperature testing is standard practice for anyone wishing to sit inside or needing to use the toilet. All staff wearing masks.
Helen – 17 July
- Botany Bay Cafe Astwood Bank is open and has some outside seating.
- The Twisted Spoon, Upton Snodsbury is open.
- The shop at Bishampton, opposite the Dolphin Pub, is serving coffee. They would prefer you to let them know if you’re planning on going.
Helen – 12 July
- Boat Shack, Upton Warren, open Wed-Sun, 10:30-3. Picnic tables by the car park and lots of grass to sit on.
Sue V – 12 July
- Reindeer cafe at entrance to Vale golf club, Bishampton, is open Thur-Sun.
Deb – 12 July
- Community cafe in Crowle, next to the village hall. Nice spot to sit outside good and cake.
- Cafe by the bowling greens in Jephson Park, Leamington.
Vicky – 12 July
- Aviary cafe in Jephson Park, Leamington. Website suggests they open at 10 but they open at 9. Plenty of space on benches or in the grass and public toilets are open.
- Riverside cafe in Bewdley is open, with seating indoors. Toilet is open.
- Excellent public toilets in Broadway.
Suzy – 12 July
- Hatton Locks, Hatton Farm park and Lavender Fisheries are all open.
- Also Orange Mabel’s and a cafe next to the church, both in Alcester.
Anne – 12 July
- The View at Wootton Wawen is open. It’s very big with lots of spaced out seating inside and out.
Sheila – 11 July
- Manor House cafe at Earlswood Craft centre is open with outdoor seating, but outside toilets still locked.
- Hillers is also open with outside seating.
- The toilets are open at Becketts.
Ruth – 9 July
- Moorlands Fisheries in Hartlebury is open for takeaways (Mon – closed, Tue to Fri 8am-11am, Sat & Sun – 7:30am-2pm). There are toilets.
- The cafe by British Camp car park in Malvern is open, with outdoor seating. Public toilets nearby.
- Farmers Fayre at Stoneleigh is open. Outdoor seating under cover. An ‘emergency toilet’ is available!
- The Kabin in Kinlet. Outdoor seating and toilet.
- Takeaways at the Grub Hut at Broomfields, Holt Fleet. Outdoor seating.
- Becketts Farm is open for takeaways. Not sure whether toilets are open.
- Lots of cafes are open in Broadway.
- Great coffee and bacon butty at the Lychgate in Pattingham. Takeaways only. Not usually open on Sundays, but are opening on Sundays at the moment.
- Lord Morton’s is open for takeaways.
- Cafe at Colliers Farm, Clows Top, is open for takeaways. Toilets weren’t open on 14 June.
- The Deli in Belbroughton is open for takeaways, admitting one customer at a time. You can’t sit outside. Not sure whether the toilet is open.
Maggie – 8 July
- My local cafe in Sanders Park in Bromsgrove has been open for a while. The good news is the loos are now open as well 😊
Marion – 8 July
- Henley Ice Cream Place
- Umberslade Farm (has really good toilets) I believe the people that operate this café also run the cafe at Dorridge station which is open, but I have not been there.
- Waseley Hills cafe is open as are the toilets, but only for take away.
- Costa in Warwick is open and has toilets.
- There is a cafe at the Holiday Inn in Kenilworth which is open.
- The public toilets over the bridge in Bidford on Avon are open.
- The cafe at Feckenham Village shop is open (but was only take away when I went).
Helen – 8 July
- Broadway Tower cafe is open for take away
- Ditchford Bank – lots of seating outside and a covered veranda area. Closes at 3 I think. Has toilets.
- Also Umberslade Farm has a good system for ordering at the cafe and plenty of outside seating, opens 10, not sure about closing time.
- The cafe at Bidford has opened for take aways, space to sit down by the river.
- We bought sandwiches at Wedges bakery and ate them at the green in Tanworth in Arden – there are several picnic tables there.
- Avoncroft was still shut yesterday and we were told us they will just be selling drinks from the shop when it reopens.
- Ellenden appears to be open, there are picnic tables outside.
- The View at Wooton Wawen was reopening on last Saturday.
August 2019 – Temporary hold on new members
Due to the success of our club and the recent influx of new members, we’ve decided to put a temporary hold on guests and new members while we decide how we want to take the club forward. If you’re interested in joining us, please contact Sheila on 07779 530017, or use our contact form to get in touch. Sheila will happily discuss the current membership position with you and put you on a waiting list.
July 2019 – Congratulations!
Our four ladies successfully completed their epic ride from Land’s End to John O’Groats, a journey of 999 miles and over 50,000 feet ascent in 15 days, over half of which were wet! They lost count of how many calories were consumed (too many!) but were grateful for all donations of chocolate and custard creams. Several other ladies joined for parts of the ride, sharing the fun and the rain. Apart from having a fabulous adventure, they raised nearly £6,000 for their chosen charities, that’s £3,792 for the MS Society, £1,129 for Diabetes UK and £956 for the Worcester Sea Cadet Unit. You can see photos here.
February 2019 – LEJOG
Four of our members, Pip, Ruth, Suzy and Vicky, are cycling from Land’s End to John O’Groats in June 2019. The route is about 1,000 miles and they aim to do it in 15 days, carrying their own gear too! If you live along their route, go along and say hi. They will also accept chocolate 😉
11/6 Land’s End-Fowey
15/6 Church Stretton
24/6 Betty Hill
25/6 John O’Groats
Please click on the links below if you would like to sponsor them.
Vicky & Ruth are cycling for friends and loved ones living with the impact of Multiple Sclerosis: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/MadSyclists
Suzy is cycling for loved ones living with Diabetes: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Suzy-Palmer
Pip is cycling for the Sea Cadets: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/PipWright1
The wonderful Lesley Easter has received an award for creating Community Cycle Clubs in the West Midlands promoting mental health and wellbeing through cycling. Lesley was awarded this recognition by West Midlands Combined Authority for the work she has achieved since July 2017 with Walsall Aboretum Community Cycle Club (ACCC) and Smethwick Beat the Streets CCC and New Life CC among others.
The event was held at West Bromwich Football Ground and was hosted by Adrian Goldberg.
Lesley was subsequently interviewed live by Alex Lester on Radio WM – listen to her wit (wittering) here from 2 hours 7 minutes.
Please note the following change to the management of our rides 🙂
- Details of rides will be entered onto the calendar on the website by the ride leaders (emails will still be sent to members in advance of a ride).
- The members will then text or mail the ride leader to confirm that they are joining the ride and where from.
- The ride leaders will then – after the ride – enter the ride data onto the calendar on the website (miles/names on ride/anything else that might be useful)